Sunday, April 27, 2014

Going to festivals and scaring children

Hi friends!

Another action-packed week in Korea has come and gone. This past week was the last week of the school term. A school term lasts for two months...in other words, I've been working in Korea for two months. I can't believe that much time has passed! I have learned quite a bit during my first term. I've discovered areas where I seem to do alright in my job, but I'm also looking forward to having a fresh start in other areas.

In other news, cats fight outside my window every night. The noise is almost therapeutic. Almost.

In other other news, I went downtown yesterday to see Gyeongbokgung Palace, the Lotus Lantern Festival, and the Lantern Parade. I was feeling exhausted at first and considered cutting out early, but I'm glad I didn't.




Jars like these were (and still are, by some) used to store kimchi, wine, and naughty children herbs.




These faces.

We came to the front just in time to see the changing of the guard.


The Lotus Lantern Festival happens in anticipation of Buddha's Birthday. I like Buddha's Birthday, and it hasn't even happened yet.
These folks were getting ready to walk in the parade.

This awesomeness was outside Jogyesa Temple.


LANTERNS.


We then watched the parade, which was a neat experience. My camera phone was lackluster at catching the images of the parade, so you get videos instead.

First, we have some monks, male and female (the female monks may be called nuns, I'm not sure).



Next came the scouts:


Then came the dragon:


Loved it. Normally, the parade is very lively and loud, but out of respect for the Sewol incident, the tone was more mellow.

Also, I was able to visit my good friend Hee Chan this weekend. I met his wife and baby daughter, and I was able to enjoy an amazing meal with them. It was great to catch up with them. Their daughter, Joo Ha, would stare at me. If I looked back, she would become terrified and start crying...I guess it's going to take some time for her to get used to waygooks (foreigners) like me!

Look at those cute lil' cheeks, marked by the traumatized tears of a baby who's never seen a white person before!

Alright folks, time for me to hit they hay. 안녕히계세요 till next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment