Friday, March 7, 2014

Week one of teaching: Done

The last several days have been busy, and dare I say, LONG. Here's a sampling of why...

- My teaching schedule has me teaching three English classes to adults in the morning (7am, 8am, and 11am) and four (five on Tuesdays and Thursdays) English classes to children/tweens in the afternoon (basically 3:30pm to 4:45pm). I can hear my teacher friends now: "Dude. That's no schedule. That's paradise." I'm sure I'll look back several months from now and agree.
- My apartment came with some basic furnishings, but I've taken quite a bit of time this week to hunt down and buy some other necessities.
- My director, while being a very nice man, is about 30% fluent in English. This makes for some interesting communication.
- I've been a bit under the weather since Wednesday afternoon.
- I have had to face the music: I am in a foreign country, and there are adjustments that I'm going to make, such as getting used to the spam/vomit hybrid smell outside my apartment.

All of this can be summed up in one picture:

ToTeS LoViNg It LoLoLoL...yeah, something like that.
BUT...there's a lot to be grateful for.
- I have an apartment to myself, and the basic rent is covered. That's pretty awesome.
- My coworkers are pretty fantastic people, and they have been helping me adjust. One of them, Lani, helped me to get internet set up in my apartment. I have her to thank for the fact that I can blog from home.
- I didn't go into much detail about this, but my orientation was pretty great. In addition to helping me get my feet on the ground, the orientation introduced me to some incredible people. Basically, after orientation classes during the day, we would hang out and laugh.
- I live in a cool part of Seoul that is just north of the Han River.

That's N Seoul Tower in the distance.
Hey. I signed up for an adventure, and an adventure I'm getting. :)

2 comments:

  1. That last picture is gorgeous and all but it's the first one I can't stop staring at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful not to stare long. #enchantment #spells

      Delete